Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Stay At Home Mom

I was watching The View this morning. For the most part it's a pretty entertaining show. I mainly just watch the first 20 minutes for the "Hot Topics." This is the part of the show where the co-hosts talk about events going on in the world.

One of today's topics was directed towards Stay At Home Moms. Elizabeth said that one of the back-stage employees had called in and said she was going to stay home and spend some time with her kid. The show was going out of town for the Day Time Emmeys and she was going to miss her kid and just wanted to spend a little time together before they left.

Star wanted to know what the employer would do if someone called in and said they wanted to spend the day with their husband. Would they allow them the time off? The answer was NO. She thought that spending time with the person you are married to is very important. Which I agree with.

The conversation then turned to talk about taking care of your husband. Star made some point about having to be with your spouse and take care of them to keep your relationship going. Of course Joy did not agree. She is always the one who talks about how women shouldn't do too much for their man. Today she made it sound like anyone who would cook and clean for a man is a total idiot. This could be why she's divorced.

I get so sick of her liberal talk. She thinks women should work (outside the home), kids should go to daycare and men should work outside the home also AND cook, clean, do the laundry, etc. I guess this gives the women the upper hand.

I don't quite see it that way. I love being a stay at home mom. I do work, hard. I might only have one kid, but I still put in a full day with him. He is the most important thing to me. I love my husband too. I like taking care of him. I want to be the one to clean and cook. He's the one that earns the money, and I'm the one who takes care of the house. It seems like a pretty fair split to me.

If other women want to work in an office or whatever, that's fine with me. I don't go around telling other women how they should live their lives. What makes them happy is fine with me. Being here, with my kid, makes me happy. What is so wrong with that?

It's a typical liberal attitude. What they believe is the only right way to do things. Anyone who doesn't agree is just stupid and trying to argue with them. BUT, if they don't agree with someone else, that's fine. They believe they have a right to their opinion, and everyone else has the right to agree with their opinion.

I think that as women, we should support each other. We are the only ones who can give birth, and feed our child. Men can't do that! Why isn't that something that we celebrate as much as a woman who runs her own company? I think it's a pretty special thing and I'm proud of that.

We need to get past wanting to be equal to men. If a man and woman do the same job, then they should be equal. They should have equal chances of getting jobs, into college, etc.

But we should also celebrate what makes us special. Instead of bringing each other down for choices we wouldn't make for ourselves, we should build each other up and be proud that we can make choices for ourselves. That is what it takes to make men and women equal.

No comments: